Skip to main content

Penicillin

Evelyn is allergic to penicillin.  She was on amoxicillin for an ear infection and previously had taken the antibiotic for a sinus infection over Christmas with no problems until yesterday.  Daycare called to let me know Evelyn had developed a rash on her legs, arms, and torso and needed to be picked up in case she was contagious.  Thankfully, Nate was able to leave work and bring her to the doctor's office.


At this point the rash wasn't that bad and the doctor diagnosed it as a viral reaction and said not to worry, she wasn't contagious, she could go back to daycare.  Her ears looked good too so he said she could stop taking the amoxicillin (another praise in retrospect).  Everything seemed fine until Evelyn woke up at 11:30pm and we realized that her whole face was swollen with hives and the rash was much worse all over her body.  Since she wasn't in any respiratory distress (more praises), the doctor's office said it wasn't an emergency even though it felt like one to Nate and I.

We took Evelyn back to the pediatrician this morning and with the drastic change in her rash, the doctor immediately concluded she had had an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin and can no longer take any medication in the penicillin family.  She got a dose of prednisone in the office which over the course of the day did lessen the severity of her rash.  The hard part is it could take up to 2-3 weeks for the reaction to completely clear up and while Evelyn looks much better, she still looks pretty rough.

It was a scary ordeal, but Evelyn is fine and that's all that really matters.  Nate stayed home today and that helped immensely too.  Also Meredith brought home Piety after work which was lovely because pie makes everything better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City champs

 Cross country season is officially over. Last night was city finals and Blackhawk girls finished first. We took 1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th and 10th place. Evelyn ran 14:56, so about 10 seconds off her PR.  She was 32nd overall out of 64 girls.  Her place counted for her team which she was happy about. The boys did good too and finished in second place overall. 

Last weekend

 Last weekend was a busy one. I had the Fort4Fitness, Evelyn had a cross country invitational in Huntington and Jameson had two soccer games in Middlebury. All on Saturday! Friday I spent all afternoon at the F4F expo. The weather was lovely so that was nice. When it was busy, the time passed quickly. When it was slow, there were still enough people that I wasn’t totally bored.  Evelyn had a great run and PR’ed with at time of 14:40.  It was an early morning for them as she had to be at the meet by 8:40. But that was better for us since Jameson’s games were into the afternoon.  I had a decent half marathon. I ran 2:10:30 which is slower than I’d like but I’ve also been dealing with a nagging right knee problem. So I honestly was thankful I could run and run the race without much discomfort.  I was fast enough to get home, shower and eat lunch before we left for soccer. Jameson’s team won the first game 0-1 and tied the second 1-1. He scored both the goals. ...

Futsal

 It’s futsal season. Jameson had his first game tonight. It’s all just intra club fun meant to help the players develop and practice over the winter. Parents only have to help during games with subbing but we also got Evelyn to help run the scoreboard.