Skip to main content

VBS

VBS is over.  Last night was the family fun night.  Of the three VBS I've volunteered for at our church this one was probably the best in terms of organization.  Everything was well structured; very little down time which is great when you're in charge of 18 preschoolers.


The theme was Roar; life is wild, God is good.  Nate and I joked that all Fort Wayne churches must have gotten a Groupon for this VBS because you drive around town and everyone is doing this program.  My biggest issue with VBS this year was the time.  It ran from 6-8:30 for 5 nights.  Most evenings we arrived to church and Jameson looked like this.  The church did provide dinner for all volunteers which was incredibly helpful.


There were fun crafts, catchy songs, and lots of time to play outside.  I wasn't in charge of 18 kids by myself.  The other adult leader is friend of mine and a preschool teacher so that was awesome.  She had all sorts of tricks to keep kids focused.  And we had three great youth helpers.





Our church has amazingly talented artists who transformed the church for VBS.  I didn't get a picture of the sanctuary/gym but it seriously looked like something out of the Rainforest Cafe (there was a real waterfall).  Evelyn was super excited to get a picture with Mrs. Soldner (who was her preK music teacher) and then this youth helper also happened to be there and we didn't want her to feel left out.


Last night we learned that VBS raised $4,000 (the kids raised just over $3,000 and then an anonymous donor rounded it up to 4); enough to bring two children from Africa to the United States for medical treatment for conditions that can't be adequately managed in their home countries.  I thought that was pretty amazing.  Then there were bounce houses and food trucks; a nice way to end a long week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City champs

 Cross country season is officially over. Last night was city finals and Blackhawk girls finished first. We took 1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th and 10th place. Evelyn ran 14:56, so about 10 seconds off her PR.  She was 32nd overall out of 64 girls.  Her place counted for her team which she was happy about. The boys did good too and finished in second place overall. 

Last weekend

 Last weekend was a busy one. I had the Fort4Fitness, Evelyn had a cross country invitational in Huntington and Jameson had two soccer games in Middlebury. All on Saturday! Friday I spent all afternoon at the F4F expo. The weather was lovely so that was nice. When it was busy, the time passed quickly. When it was slow, there were still enough people that I wasn’t totally bored.  Evelyn had a great run and PR’ed with at time of 14:40.  It was an early morning for them as she had to be at the meet by 8:40. But that was better for us since Jameson’s games were into the afternoon.  I had a decent half marathon. I ran 2:10:30 which is slower than I’d like but I’ve also been dealing with a nagging right knee problem. So I honestly was thankful I could run and run the race without much discomfort.  I was fast enough to get home, shower and eat lunch before we left for soccer. Jameson’s team won the first game 0-1 and tied the second 1-1. He scored both the goals. ...

Futsal

 It’s futsal season. Jameson had his first game tonight. It’s all just intra club fun meant to help the players develop and practice over the winter. Parents only have to help during games with subbing but we also got Evelyn to help run the scoreboard.