Skip to main content

Meatless Monday

I like to pretend that I am a vegetarian, but the truth is I do eat meat on a fairly consistent basis.  But I also like to plan and prepare vegetarian meals and Nate is very accommodating.  He will basically eat whatever I fix. So I thought it would be fun to post (perhaps on a semi-regular basis) some of the veggie meals we make, especially the successful, make again ones.

This Spinach Dip is super yummy and very easy to make. I got the recipe from a friend of my sister.  It perhaps doesn't really count as a full meal, but because mascarpone cheese is a little on the pricey side, it served as a special treat for our New Years Eve dinner.

Ingredients:
1 small onion, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
16 oz. frozen chopped spinach
8 oz. mascarpone cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, cook the onion with olive oil until translucent.
- Add frozen spinach and heat until spinach is hot but still green. Add mascarpone, salt, pepper, cayenne, Parmesan cheese and stir until combined. Pour the mixture into a small, greased casserole or baking dish.
- Bake for 30 mins. until bubbling around the edges. Serve warm with pita chips or a sliced baguette.

MY NOTES:
  • I've made this by cooking the spinach while still frozen (which yields a little bit more runny/watery dip) and by defrosting the spinach and squeezing out some of the water.  Nathan and I decided the defrosted and squeezed method is best.
  • I have never used a whole 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper. From experience, a 1/8 tsp is perfect for us who like some heat, but don't want to have to take a drink of water in between bites.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City champs

 Cross country season is officially over. Last night was city finals and Blackhawk girls finished first. We took 1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th and 10th place. Evelyn ran 14:56, so about 10 seconds off her PR.  She was 32nd overall out of 64 girls.  Her place counted for her team which she was happy about. The boys did good too and finished in second place overall. 

Last weekend

 Last weekend was a busy one. I had the Fort4Fitness, Evelyn had a cross country invitational in Huntington and Jameson had two soccer games in Middlebury. All on Saturday! Friday I spent all afternoon at the F4F expo. The weather was lovely so that was nice. When it was busy, the time passed quickly. When it was slow, there were still enough people that I wasn’t totally bored.  Evelyn had a great run and PR’ed with at time of 14:40.  It was an early morning for them as she had to be at the meet by 8:40. But that was better for us since Jameson’s games were into the afternoon.  I had a decent half marathon. I ran 2:10:30 which is slower than I’d like but I’ve also been dealing with a nagging right knee problem. So I honestly was thankful I could run and run the race without much discomfort.  I was fast enough to get home, shower and eat lunch before we left for soccer. Jameson’s team won the first game 0-1 and tied the second 1-1. He scored both the goals. ...

Futsal

 It’s futsal season. Jameson had his first game tonight. It’s all just intra club fun meant to help the players develop and practice over the winter. Parents only have to help during games with subbing but we also got Evelyn to help run the scoreboard.