Skip to main content

VBS and Chicago

We had a busy week! Evelyn and I volunteered with VBS at church. We were in charge of a group of graduated 3rd graders. They were a great kids and we had lots of fun.  Jameson had soccer try outs and he made a travel team for the fall. My parents visited for a few days and we celebrated the start of the World Cup by getting Chiptole (bogo if you wore a soccer jersey). 


Thursday night a storm went through. It woke me up but didn’t sound too terrible. In the morning however there were several tree branches down. We even lost a small tree in the backyard. It fell on the deck and didn’t cause any damage but Nate did stay home to take care of it. 


Saturday morning we drove to Chicago to stay with Claire and Peter for the weekend.  We went to a Juneteenth block party where there was free food, music, bouncy houses, and vendors. Then we walked to a brewery and got more food. Back at the house the kids watched a movie and we hung out and relaxed.  Sunday we went to the Museum of Science and Industry.  We first visited the Paul Tazewell exhibit and the costumes from Hamilton and Wicked.  This was Evelyn’s favorite. 




We explored some smaller exhibitions to use up some time. 


Then it was our turn to tour the coal mine.  Both kids thought it was cool. 



After the coal mine, it was time to get in line for the special Anne Frank exhibit.  Only at the museum for about a year and with many pieces on loan from Amsterdam, this was a high priority for all of us.  It was incredibly well done and I learned a lot. We all received a copy of Anne Frank’s Diary at the end. All four kids went through and did a great job being respectful, but I appreciated that Evelyn and Jameson were old enough to learn and retain new information and also to understand the gravity of the exhibit.


After lunch, we saw the U-505 exhibit. This was Jameson’s favorite.  After the sub, the youngest were starting to tire out but we rallied enough strength for the mirror maze and the fairy castle. We said our goodbyes and headed back home. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City champs

 Cross country season is officially over. Last night was city finals and Blackhawk girls finished first. We took 1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th and 10th place. Evelyn ran 14:56, so about 10 seconds off her PR.  She was 32nd overall out of 64 girls.  Her place counted for her team which she was happy about. The boys did good too and finished in second place overall. 

Last weekend

 Last weekend was a busy one. I had the Fort4Fitness, Evelyn had a cross country invitational in Huntington and Jameson had two soccer games in Middlebury. All on Saturday! Friday I spent all afternoon at the F4F expo. The weather was lovely so that was nice. When it was busy, the time passed quickly. When it was slow, there were still enough people that I wasn’t totally bored.  Evelyn had a great run and PR’ed with at time of 14:40.  It was an early morning for them as she had to be at the meet by 8:40. But that was better for us since Jameson’s games were into the afternoon.  I had a decent half marathon. I ran 2:10:30 which is slower than I’d like but I’ve also been dealing with a nagging right knee problem. So I honestly was thankful I could run and run the race without much discomfort.  I was fast enough to get home, shower and eat lunch before we left for soccer. Jameson’s team won the first game 0-1 and tied the second 1-1. He scored both the goals. ...

Futsal

 It’s futsal season. Jameson had his first game tonight. It’s all just intra club fun meant to help the players develop and practice over the winter. Parents only have to help during games with subbing but we also got Evelyn to help run the scoreboard.